Phone: (608) 263-3544
RESEARCH INTERESTS - Energy regulation and the impact of caloric restriction on aging in nonhuman primates
B.A., 1991, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, Biology and Anthropology
M.A., 1993, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, Biological Anthropology
M.S., 1998, University of Wisconsin – Madison, WI, Biological Anthropology
Ph.D., 1998, University of Wisconsin – Madison, WI, Biological Anthropology
Our research focuses on energy regulation and the impact of caloric restriction on aging in nonhuman primates. Caloric restriction, undernutrition without malnutrition, offers a powerful experimental strategy to explore mechanisms of aging because it is the only intervention that has repeatedly and strongly influenced maximum lifespan and retarded the rate of aging in laboratory rodents. While the beneficial effects of caloric restriction in rodents are well documented, the long-term effects of caloric restriction in primates are still under investigation. Our lab at the Wisconsin National Primate Research Center runs one of only two ongoing, long-term studies of the effects of moderate caloric restriction on aging in rhesus monkeys.
- Mattison JA, Colman RJ, Beasley TM, Allison DB, Kemnitz JW, Roth GS, Ingram DK, Weindruch R, de Cabo R, Anderson RM. Caloric restriction improves health and survival of rhesus monkeys. Nat Commun. 2017 Jan 17;8:14063.
- Ziegler TE, Sosa ME, Colman RJ. Fathering style influences health outcome in common marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) offspring. PLoS One. 2017 Sep 28;12(9):e0185695.
- Maegawa S, Lu Y, Tahara T, Lee JT, Madzo J, Liang S, Jelinek J, Colman RJ, Issa JJ. Caloric restriction delays age-related methylation drift. Nat Commun. 2017 Sep 14;8(1):539.
- Colman RJ. Non-human primates as a model for aging. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017 Jul 17. pii: S0925-4439 (17)30232-6. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Schneider A, Dhahbi JM, Atamna H, Clark JP, Colman RJ, Anderson RM. Caloric restriction impacts plasma microRNAs in rhesus monkeys. Aging Cell. 2017 Oct;16(5):1200-1203.
- Polewski MA, Burhans MS, Zhao M, Colman RJ, Shanmuganayagam D, Lindstrom MJ, Ntambi JM, Anderson RM. Plasma diacylglycerol composition is a biomarker of metabolic syndrome onset in rhesus monkeys. J Lipid Res 56(8):1461-1470, 2015.Martin SA, DeMuth TM, Miller KN, Pugh TD, Polewski MA, Colman RJ, Eliceiri KW, Beasley TM, Johnson SC, Anderson RM. Regional and metabolic heterogeneity of the hippocampus is non-uniformly impacted by age and caloric restriction. Aging Cell 15(1):100-110, 2016.
- Colman RJ, Beasley TM, Kemnitz JW, Johnson SC, Weindruch R, Anderson RM. Caloric restriction reduces age-related and all-cause mortality in rhesus monkeys. Nat Commun. 5:3557, 2014. doi:10.1038/ncomms4557.
- Ziegler TE, Sosa ME, Peterson LJ, Colman RJ. Using snacks high in fat and protein to improve glucoregulatory function in adolescent male marmosets (Callithrix jacchus). J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 52(6):756-762, 2013.
- Colman RJ, Beasley TM, Allison DB, Weindruch R. Skeletal effects of long-term caloric restriction in rhesus monkeys. AGE. 34(5):1133-1143, 2012.
- Colman RJ, Anderson RM, Johnson SC, Kastman EK, Kosmatka KJ, Beasley TM, Allison DB, Cruzen C, Simmons HA, Kemnitz JW, Weindruch R. Caloric restriction delays disease onset and mortality in rhesus monkeys. Science. 325:201-204, 2009.